Episode #47: Dr. Eric Helms -- Bodybuilding, Supplements, & MORE
In this episode of the Supplement Engineer Podcast, I'm joined by Dr. Eric Helms.
Dr. Helms is a veteran of the United States Air Force, an accomplished professional natural bodybuilder, a PhD in strength and conditioning, the chief science officer for 3D Muscle Journey, and Captain America of the Evidence-Based Avengers.
In this wide-ranging episode, we discuss:
- Life in New Zealand and differences between life in the USA
- The many different “hats” Dr. Helms wears (coach, athlete, science communicator, author, etc.)
- Biggest differences between this competition season and his previous ones
- The dawn of the “enlightened meathead”
- Avoiding obsession and compulsion while becoming proficient in a art form (bodybuilding, martial arts, etc.)
- Being a man of many talents while staving off burnout
- Undertaking new challenges with Strongman training
- Volume, intensity, and knowing how hard to push during training in order to make progress
- Coaching clients who thrive off “crushing” every workout
- “99% of the supplements available on the market don’t do anything”
- What role (if any) supplements play in helping people succeed in training
- Dr. Helms’ personal experience with dietary supplements
- How much evidence does he need to see before feeling comfortable enough to use a supplement or recommend it
- Being an “early adopter” with new dietary supplements
- Dr. Helms’ current supplement stack
Where to Find Dr. Helms
Dr. Eric Helms IG: https://www.instagram.com/helms3dmj/
3DMJ Website: https://3dmusclejourney.com/blog/
Iron Culture Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/podcast/iron-culture/id1452114380?mt=2
Before You Go...
If you enjoy this podcast and want to see more content like it, please consider leaving a review!