Episode #40: Dr. Jason Cholewa & Supplement Research
In this episode of the Supplement Engineer Podcast, I'm joined by Dr. Jason Cholewa.
Dr. Cholewa holds in Ph.D. in Kinesiology and is currently an Assistant Professor in the Exercise Science and Sport Studies department at Coastal Carolina University where his research is focuses on examining how resistance training and nutritional supplements can improve performance in athletes and the elderly.
He is also the founder of Big Red Physical Performance, a fitness consulting company that offers customized evidence-based exercise and nutrition regimens, and specializes in improving strength, power, speed, agility, and endurance performance.
In this episode, Dr. Cholewa and I discuss a wide array of topics, including:
- Dr. Cholewa's current research projects underway
- What led Dr. Cholewa to pursue a career in supplement and exercise research?
- Deep dive into betaine (trimethylglycine)
- How does betaine improve performance and body composition?
- What goes into getting a supplement study off the ground?
- How "hands on" are research funders?
- Why do studies cost so much?
- The trials and tribulations of getting research published in scientific journals
- Reasonable expectations on additional gains made from using dietary supplements
- How to judge the quality of a supplement research paper
- Can anything be gleaned from rodent studies regarding dietary supplements?
- Are BCAA or EAA useful intra workout?
- Dr. Cholewa's recent study on Beta alanine
- Is there any benefit to having beta alanine in a pre workout?
- Dr. Cholewa's recent paper on the hunger suppressing effects of full body workouts
Where to Find Dr. Cholewa
Dr. Cholewa IG: https://www.instagram.com/dr.redperformance/
Dr. Cholewa FB: https://www.facebook.com/drjasoncholewa/
Dr. Cholewa Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jason_Cholewa
Before You Go...
If you enjoy this podcast and want to see more content like it, please consider leaving a review!