Episode #24: Ken Braunstein & OOH Snap! Nutrition
In this episode of the Supplement Engineer Podcast, I'm joined by Ken Braunstein, VP of Sales for OOH Snap Nutrition.
Ken has been a key figure in the protein bar/functional foods market space for over roughly 20 years and has helped grow some of the biggest names in the game including Met-RX, EAS, Lenny & Larry's, and PowerCrunch.
Now, Ken has turned his attention to helping grow OOH Snap Nutrition, a line of protein bars touting a Rice Krispie-like texture but with a fraction of the sugar and fat and a boatload more protein.
In this episode, Ken and I discuss:
- Ken's 20+ year history in the protein bar space
- Differences and advances in protein bar technology since the original Met-RX bar debuted in 1996
- Evolution of the protein bar market
- What do consumers want in a protein bar
- The ever-increasing competition in the protein bar market
- What does it take for an up and coming protein bar to be successful these days
- Sourcing manufacturers for bars vs dietary supplements (pills & powders)
- Factors impacting decision for initial flavor release of OOH Snap Bars
- How to maintain freshness in protein bars
- Factors that affect shelf stability
- The intriguing paradox that is the "natural" protein bar market
- Updates to labeling guidelines regarding fiber content in protein bars
- What's next for OOH Snap Nutrition (new flavor releases and products)
Also, make sure to check out our full review of OOH Snap! Nutrition Protein Bars, here: